BENEFITING: GREAT LAKES SURF RESCUE PROJECT
ORGANIZER: GREAT LAKES SURF RESCUE PROJECT
EVENT DATE: Aug 31, 2016
GREAT LAKES SURF RESCUE PROJECT wrote -
DID YOU KNOW THAT
• Drowning kills more school-aged children each year than fires, tornadoes, school shooters, and earthquakes – COMBINED.
• Schools have fire drills, tornado drills, active shooter drills, and some even have earthquake drills, but very few have any water safety education.
• Drowning is a nationwide and worldwide epidemic.
• Do you know why there’s no water safety school curriculum? It’s likely because you don’t know about the ‘Big Picture of Drowning’.
THE BIG PICTURE OF DROWNING
According to the latest Center for Disease Control (CDC) statistics drowning is the:
• Leading cause of accidental injury death for children 1-4
• 2nd leading cause for children 1-14
• 5th leading cause for the entire nation
• 3rd leading cause worldwide
So why is there no water safety school curriculum? Well if you are unaware of the nationwide and worldwide drowning epidemic, then you might not be a demand for it to be taught in schools.
The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project (GLSRP) wants to change that. The GLSRP demands that there be a Water Safety School Curriculum for elementary, junior high, high school students, the parents of each age group, and instructors of the curriculum to directly address the drowning epidemic.
ABOUT THE GLSRP
The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project is about saving lives. It is a nonprofit 501c3 corporation that is a Chapter of the National Drowning Prevention Alliance (NDPA).
1. Tracks the Great Lakes drowning statistics
2. Teaches “Great Lakes Water Safety” classes
3. Is the “Third Coast Ocean Force” rip Current Awareness Campaign
4. Hosts Surf Lifeguard Certification courses, and
5. Works with family and friends of Great Lakes drowning victims to advocate water safety.
Mission: To eradicate drownings by being the leader of Great Lakes water safety by providing training, public preparedness, and public awareness.
Vision: Everyone in the Great Lakes region, nationwide and worldwide, is knowledgeable, engaged, and proactive in water safety with an emphasis on the Great Lakes Region.
In 2010 the GLSRP began tracking drownings in the Great Lakes (375 and counting). Since 2011the GLSRP has taught 60 “Great Lakes Water Safety” classes in six of the eight Great Lakes states (List of Classes).
The GLSRP wants to transform its “Great Lakes Water Safety” curriculum into a “Water Safety School Curriculum”. The GLSRP already has Pilot schools identified in six of the eight Great Lakes states for the school curriculum and more schools interested in signing on. Once the curriculum is successfully launched in the Great Lakes region, then it can become a national model.
WHAT’S MISSING? YOUR HELP!
The only thing that is missing for the Water Safety School Curriculum is funding (funding for the production of videos, animation, instructional booklets, coloring booklets, testing materials, and “Train the Trainer” programs).
The executive directors of the GLSRP, Bob Pratt and Dave Benjamin, have been working together educating the public for over three and a half years without a salary, without a paycheck, often times paying their own travel expenses in an effort to save lives on the Great Lakes.
With very little funding, the GLSRP has accomplished:
• The GLSRP has taught 60 “Great Lakes Water Safety” classes in six of the eight Great Lakes states
• Presented at the NDPA’s 12th Annual Symposium, March 2013, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
• Presented at the 2nd International Rip Current Symposium Nov. 2012, Sydney, Australia
• 2012 winner of the “Outstanding Service to the Great Lakes Community”
• 2012 “Lifesaver of the Year” award winner
• Presented at the NDPA’s 11th Annual Symposium in San Diego, March 2012
With your help, the eradication of drowning is possible!
DONATIONS WILL FUND:
• The production of instructional materials, videos, and booklets
o Family swimming abilities survey
o Pretest – To determine current knowledge about water safety, rip currents and rip current survival strategies
o Posttest – To determine that the knowledge of the presentation was understood and easily retained
o Training booklet – to complement presentation and to educate parents
o Videos Water safety and rip current videos
o Understanding beach signage
o Basic rescue
• Copyright and Trademarks of created materials
OBJECTIVES OF WATER SAFETY SCHOOL CURRICULUM
Students in each target group will be able to:
• Understand that drowning is a leading cause of injury and death
• Understand the dangers around pools, rivers, lakes, Great Lakes, and oceans
• Assess their current swimming abilities and ability to float
• Understand the Instinctive Drowning Response
• Know the signs of drowning (Hollywood Version vs. Actual Version)
• Understand how, where, and why waves occur on the Great Lakes and oceans
• Understand how, where, and why dangerous currents occur on the Great Lakes and oceans
• Recall, illustrate, and demonstrate rip current survival strategies