BENEFITING: GREAT LAKES SURF RESCUE PROJECT
ORGANIZER: GREAT LAKES SURF RESCUE PROJECT
EVENT DATE: Aug 31, 2016
GREAT LAKES SURF RESCUE PROJECT wrote -
DID YOU KNOW THAT:
- Drowning kills more school-aged children each year than fires, tornadoes, school shooters, and earthquakes – COMBINED?
- Schools have fire drills, tornado drills, active shooter drills, and some even have earthquake drills, but very few have any water safety education?
- Drowning is a nationwide and worldwide epidemic?
- There’s little to no water safety education in schools?
THE BIG PICTURE OF DROWNING
According to the latest Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) statistics, drowning is the:
- Leading cause of accidental injury death for children 1-4
- 2nd leading cause for children 1-14
- 5th leading cause for the entire nation
- 3rd leading cause worldwide
The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project (GLSRP) wants to change that. The GLSRP is leading the call for a Water Safety School Curriculum for elementary, junior high, high school students, the parents of each age group, and instructors of the curriculum to directly address the drowning epidemic.
Drowning is preventable through education. You can help us save more lives by supporting this fundraiser for a Water Safety School Curriculum.
ABOUT THE GREAT LAKES SURF RESCU PROJECT
The GLSRP is about saving lives. It is a nonprofit 501c3 corporation that is a Chapter of the National Drowning Prevention Alliance (NDPA).
- Tracks the Great Lakes drowning statistics
- Teaches “Great Lakes Water Safety” classes
- Is the “Third Coast Ocean Force” rip Current Awareness Campaign
- Hosts Surf Lifeguard Certification courses
- Works with family and friends of Great Lakes drowning victims to advocate water safety
Mission: To eradicate drownings by being the leader of Great Lakes water safety by providing training, public preparedness, and public awareness.
Vision: Everyone in the Great Lakes region, nationwide and worldwide, is knowledgeable, engaged, and proactive in water safety with an emphasis on the Great Lakes Region.
In 2010 the GLSRP began tracking drownings in the Great Lakes (379 and counting). Since 2011, the GLSRP has taught 60 “Great Lakes Water Safety” classes in six of the eight Great Lakes states (List of Classes).
The GLSRP wants to transform its “Great Lakes Water Safety” curriculum into a “Water Safety School Curriculum”. The GLSRP already has pilot schools identified in six of the eight Great Lakes states for the school curriculum and more schools interested in signing on. Once the curriculum is successfully launched in the Great Lakes region, then it can become a national model.
WHAT’S MISSING? YOUR HELP!
The only thing that is missing for the Water Safety School Curriculum is funding (funding for the production of videos, animation, instructional booklets, coloring booklets, testing materials, and “Train the Trainer” programs).
The executive directors of the GLSRP, Bob Pratt and Dave Benjamin, have been working together educating the public for over three and a half years without a salary, without a paycheck, often times paying their own travel expenses in an effort to save lives on the Great Lakes.
With very little funding, the GLSRP has:
- Taught over 60 “Great Lakes Water Safety” classes in six of the eight Great Lakes states
- Presented at the NDPA’s 12th Annual Symposium, March 2013, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Presented at the 2nd International Rip Current Symposium Nov. 2012, Sydney, Australia
- Been named 2012 winner of the “Outstanding Service to the Great Lakes Community”
- Won the NDPA 2012 “Lifesaver of the Year” award
- Presented at the NDPA’s 11th Annual Symposium in San Diego, March 2012
With your help, the eradication of drowning is possible!
YOUR DONATION WILL FUND:
- The production of instructional materials, videos, and booklets
- Family swimming abilities survey
- Pretest – To determine current knowledge about water safety, rip currents and rip current survival strategies
- Posttest – To determine that the knowledge of the presentation was understood and easily retained
- Training booklet – to complement presentation and to educate parents
- Videos Water safety and rip current videos
- Understanding beach signage
- Basic rescue
- Copyright and Trademarks of created materials
OBJECTIVES OF WATER SAFETY SCHOOL CURRICULUM
Students in each target group will be able to:
- Understand that drowning is a leading cause of injury and death
- Understand the dangers around pools, rivers, lakes, Great Lakes, and oceans
- Assess their current swimming abilities and ability to float
- Understand the Instinctive Drowning Response
- Know the signs of drowning (Hollywood Version vs. Actual Version)
- Understand how, where, and why waves occur on the Great Lakes and oceans
- Understand how, where, and why dangerous currents occur on the Great Lakes and oceans
- Recall, illustrate, and demonstrate rip current survival strategies