Whole Foods Market via Crowdrise
April 12, 2012
"Whiskey is for drinkin'. Water is for fightin'," says Jeff Ehlert, a fly fishing guide in Rocky Mountain National Park, recalling a well-worn saying heard throughout the Colorado River basin. As the most dammed, dibbed and diverted river in the world struggles to support thirty million people across the western United States and Mexico, the peace-keeping agreement known as the Colorado River Pact is reaching its limits.
Watershed is narrated by Robert Redford and Produced by James Redford. In Watershed, Ehlert joins six others living and working in the Colorado River basin who reflect a compelling new water ethic as they share their stories and illuminate a path of coexistence with enough for all. This film was made in memory of Bradform Delano Smith (1958-2008), a deeply committed environmentalist who passionately embraced life.
We're excited to be a part of an important documentary film festival - a collection of consciousness-raising films. We hope you watch, think, act and that you are as inspired by the film as we are. And with that inspiration, we're hoping you'll do something real in your own way - make a difference in your home, community, or right here by DONATING - click on the big DONATE button to the right!
Inspired? Take Action!
Together, we an create a new water ethic and help restore the mighty Colorado River and its connection to the Gulf of California.
- Make a personal water conservation pledge of 5% as a symbol of the small amount of rivers' flow required to reconnect the river to its delta. Here's how! Take shorter showers, fix all leaks, meatless mondays, harvest the rain, try xeriscaping and xerigardening, buy local, organic and drygrown, install low flow appliances, and know your water footprint.
- Commit the first $50 you will save to the Colorado River Delta Water Trust to help purchase the water rights necessary to resptre the Delta ecosystem and fill in the river corridor.
- Sign the online petition through Change.org encouraging the U.S. and Mexico to reach and agreement to restore a small amount of water to the Colorado River delta so the river can once again reach the Gulf of California.
- Host a WATERSHED screening. Help raise awareness about the declining water supply in the Colorado River and get people of all ages involved in creating a new water ethic and inspired to conserve.
- Why does it matter that the Colorado River no longer reaches it's natural end at the Gulf of California?
- What can individuals do about the problem?
- Where are the greatest opportunities for change?
- What are the greatest threats to progress?
- What will our water supplies look like in 10 years?
- Is water a human right, and if so, what about access?
- What watershed do you live in? Is your drinking water source in danger or being compromised?
Enjoy the Film!