BENEFITING: Girls Empowerment Network
Girls Empowerment Network (GEN) is gearing up for our third annual We Are Girls Conference in Houston, and we hope you will support this important effort by becoming a sponsor. All funds raised here in Houston go directly to the Houston We Are Girls Conference to be held at Hogg Middle School on April 27, 2018. Last year’s event sold out six weeks in advance and attracted 1,586 girls and the adults who care about them. Based on that success, we anticipate a similar turnout in 2018.
Why a conference for girls?
• 6 out of 10 girls avoid activities, such as attending school or raising their hand in class, when feeling bad about their looks
• Girls as young as 6 years old believe brilliance is a male trait
• Girls are 4 times more likely than boys to be told to be careful
• 96% of high school girls are trying to lose weight
• The #1 cause of body dissatisfaction for girls is comparison to other girls
• By 9th grade, girls self-harm three times more than boys their own age
• Girls outperform boys in academics, yet grow up to hold less than 14% of top positions in the nation
Each of these figures are troubling on their own, but is it even more concerning to know that 75% of girls who struggle with low self-esteem in this manner engage in harmful behaviors like smoking, drinking, bullying, and disordered eating.
Thankfully, we know what can make the difference. Since 1996, GEN has been intervening on behalf of girls and helping them believe in their ability to accomplish their personal goals, and navigate the unique pressures of girlhood. Through the We Are Girls Conference, we have created a forum for Houston girls to address these important issues and gain access to experts who can answer their questions.
You can join us in helping girls find their power by sponsoring the event. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Your support means the world to thousands of teen girls and the adults who care about them!
- The GEN Team