After nearly a year working in the beautiful Lake Atitlan region, I have been privileged to work alongside many incredible Guatemalans towards eradicating barriers that lead to an inability to fulfil one's true capabilities, one of these is chronic malnutrition.
Therefore, I have decided to start my own campaign that will support one of our many incredible programs which is Well Mother, Well Baby. This program is particularly close to my heart as I have seen it grow from a fledgling program to one that is truly making a generational difference, providing preventative and curative healthcare and education to mothers and malnourished babies.
So, make it rain!
Mayan Families wrote -
Our Well Mother, Well Baby program aims reduce to the persistence of malnutrition among indigenous communities by providing nutritional support to infants who are not receiving enough nourishment through breastfeeding, and to mothers who have lost the ability to provide optimal nutrition due to being malnourished themselves.
How Well Mother Well Baby operates:
CHILDREN under three who demonstrate severe malnutrition:
- Evaluated by a doctor and our Family Aid Department
- Given appropriate monthly nutritional supplementation
- Monitored and evaluated twice a month
THE MOTHERS of eligible children also receive:
- Basic food stuffs that target the mother’s ability to produce breast milk
- Monthly health and hygiene workshops, which provide them with the information they need to improve and maintain their child’s nutrition and health during and after their participation in the program
- Information on maternal health and prenatal nutrition in an effort to prevent future children from becoming malnourished
Why Well Mother Well Baby?
Guatemala has the highest rate of chronic malnutrition in the region and the fourth highest rate in the world, most prominently affecting children under five, women who are pregnant or lactating, and indigenous communities. Some major ramifications of childhood malnutrition are:
- Increased susceptibility to infection resulting in up to 160 days of illness each year
- Increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, kidney damage and even premature death
- Stunted growth resulting in a lower physical capacity as an adult and thus decreased ability to earn a living through manual labor
- Decreased brain and nerve development and function, resulting in lower IQs and decreased performance at school
- Increased probability of having low birth weight children in the future
Well Mother Well Baby is especially vital because it provides nutrition to children in the most critical stage of physical and mental development.
To find out more, visit https://mayanfamilies.org/page/WellMotherWellBabyProgram.
Mayan Families is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code in the USA and all donations are tax-deductible, as allowed by US law.