BENEFITING: Plan International Inc.
In honor of World Toilet Day on November 19th, the Women & Girls Working Group is raising funds to support Plan International's "Girls' Empowerment Through Education" Project (GETE) to build girls-only bathrooms in Yeka and Akaki Kality, Ethiopia. The project's goal is to provide facilities for 5,000 girls between the ages of 7-14 by 2016.
GETE, a project of Plan's"I Am A Girl" initiative, seeks to break down educational barriers for girls in Ethiopia, where only 55% of girls complete primary school. The Women & Girls Working Group is supporting the effort to keep girls in school because we believe girls are valuable, and deserve private, safe, and hygienic bathrooms where they can manage their bodily functions, including menstruation, without fear or embarrassment.
Approximately $100 will building a single girls-only bathroom. We'll be so happy for any amount you can contribute! Your gifts do not come us, but goes directly to the project and is tax-deductible!
Some important facts you should know:
- 2.5 billion people worldwide do not have a toilet
- 1 in 3 women worldwide risk shame, disease, harassment, and even attack because they have nowhere safe to go to the toilet
- Women and girls living without toilets spend a collective 97 billion hours each year finding a place to go
- One school study in Ethiopia reported over 50% of girls missing between one and four days of school per month due to menstruation
- Below 20% of girls in some places in Africa have a place in their schools to change their sanitary materials
The Women & Girls Working Group is a collective of women, motivated by compassion and faith, working to raise awareness and funds for Menstrual Hygiene Management issues everywhere.