Skip to content

We Ran for LeAnn

Organized by: Jessica Duncan

Jessica's Photo


My name is Jessica Duncan. I am a runner who wishes to use my love for running to do good for others. But this story isn't about me. It's about LeAnn... LeAnn Hawkins is one of the most wonderful women you could ever know. The perfect picture of what a woman, a wife (to Mark), a mother (to Ashley, grade 10 and Jackson, grade 6), and friend should be. This past year she was diagnosed with cancer (see below for her story) and she's a fighter. Her medical bills, as you can imagine, are piling up. That's where we come in. Together, we can raise money to help LeAnn and her family during this tough time. I will be running The Dogwood 12 Hour Run , a 12-hour trail race that will be my first *timed* event, on April 9, 2015. I'm asking YOU to pledge a $ amount of your choice per mile that I complete. For example, if you pledge $1 a mile and I complete 35 miles, you promise to donate $35 toward this fund. Or if you pledge $5 per mile and I complete 35 miles, you promise to donate $175. And so on. smile emoticon It's completely up to you how much you give and pledging by the mile motivates me to do as many as I can for LeAnn. After the race on April 9, I will post my results (or you can track me as I go, online) and you will have until May 1 to fulfill your contribution. To make your pledge, please complete this form:…/1ALT_eUirAE7O_jrflRgZyo…/viewform… I can run ... LeAnn can fight... and YOU can help by donating! I can't tell you how much your support will mean to LeAnn and her family. Here is LeAnn's story, told by her husband, Mark: On Monday, September 14, 2015 LeAnn went to the doctor over concerns she had with her right breast. On Tuesday she had a mammogram and ultrasound done. On Wednesday they biopsied two areas of her breast and her lymph node. On Friday, September 18th we were informed the biopsies were positive for breast cancer. The next day we decided to tell the kids. Probably the hardest thing we've ever had to do. Our lives changed in 5 long days. Because of the way the breast was presenting the doctors in Statesville thought there was a chance it could be inflammatory breast cancer (not good). Upon hearing this we decided to go to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. They have a separate inflammatory breast cancer unit. We went there on September 30th for tests, manymany tests. On October 5th we met with the doctors after all the tests. The doctors did not think it was inflammatory breast cancer (good news). They just thought it was an aggressive localized cancer. The cancer had spread throughout her lymph nodes but had not progressed past her clavicle (doesn't sound like it, but more good news). We left Houston as positive as we could be still having cancer. The treatment plan was chemo for 6 months to reduce the tumors, then wait one month and surgery, then wait one month and radiation for 6 weeks. We were ready to get started. We had an appointment scheduled with Wake Forest Baptist to see about getting the chemo started. We had to go through some of the same procedures with Wake that we went through with MD Anderson. Wake brought up inflammatory again. We went through a week of worry and concern to get right back to MD Anderson's diagnosis. She got her port placed for the chemo on Wednesday, October 21st and received her first of 8 chemo treatments on Thursday, October 22nd. From 9am to 4:30pm she sat in a chair while they pumped her with IV bag after IV bag. She did pretty good with it for a couple days then the poison took hold. She never got sick, just hurt all over and drained. She said her bones hurt. After a few days she started to feel a little better then she got a head cold. She didn't feel normal again until November 4th. By that time her hair was coming out in bunches. When she couldn't grab it to blow dry it anymore without it falling out she decided to let me buzz it. Ashley and Jackson gave her fashion tips for her new look. She received her 2nd treatment on November 12th. She did good for 3 days, then the pain started. Not as long this time and back to new normal quicker. The treatments are working. When she went for her second treatment the dr could not feel the tumors anymore and the swelling had gone down. We just hope that progress continues. We have been overwhelmed by the love and support we've received from family, friends and our community. We are blessed to live in a community that genuinely cares. The phone calls, the letters, the cards, the visits, the hugs, the prayers, the food have all been so helpful, therapeutic and greatly appreciated. We love this community. We're definitely not in this alone. My wife never ceases to amaze me. She's as competitive as they come. She's not going to let this disease or the treatments get the better of her. She's smart (probably just a couple articles away from becoming a Dr.) and strong and with the help of her family, friends and community she will beat this. And after she beats it she will pay this support forward ten fold.


Organized by

Jessica Duncan

This is a direct to organizer fundraiser.

Donor Comments

Report this page — Let Us Know if you think this page is breaking the law or the CrowdRise Terms