For many many years, I have shied away from celebrating my birthday. Sometimes because I don't know how to deal with that kind of attention, sometimes because it was sad celebrating with everyone I cared about in the world, and sometimes because I thought it was just another day.
This year, I managed to find a fix to all of the above and celebrate it with as many people as I possible can! I'm diverting the attention away from myself onto people who need it alot more than I do, I'm making it more than just another day, and I am celebrating it in a way that everyone I care about all over the world can celebrate with me!
If you were going to post a Happy Birthday on my Facebook wall, please share my Birthday Pledge with anyone and everyone and urge them to donate!
If you were going to send me a Happy Birthday text message, please donate $1 or more.
If you were going to get me a Birthday Card, please donate $5 or more.
If you were going to buy me a cake or cupcakes, please donate $10 or more.
If you were going to buy me dinner, please donate $20 or more.
If you were going to buy me a moderately-priced gift, please donate $40 or more.
If you are one of my family members or my closest friends, I'd rather not set a lower limit, please donate as much as you can!
If you know me only a little or not at all, but care as much as I do about Women's Rights and Empowerment in times of crisis all over the world, please donate as little or as much you can, and please please please, share this pledge in any way you can.
MADRE works by partnering with community-based organizations to meet urgent needs in their communities and enhance women's capacity, provide women in crises with their immediate needs, advocate for human rights, provide education to the public.
MADRE is currently supporting local community organizations in Syria, Sudan, Palestine, Peru, Nicaragua, Kenya, Iraq, Haiti, Guatemala, Colombia, and Afghanistan.
For example, in Syria and in Syrian refugee communities in Jordan, Turkey, and Lebanon, MADRE is:
- Delivering life-saving aid, including emergency medical supplies, solar lanterns to prevent night-time assaults on women, and community-based trauma counseling.
- Providing reproductive health services and supplies, contraception, and family planning counseling.
- Training women to document, denounce and eventually prosecute rape as a weapon of war.
- Advocating for Syrian women's independent participation in peace negotiations.
- Connecting Syrian women to peace activists from across the world to share lessons learned about building communities back from conflict.
For more information, please visit MADRE's website: http://www.madre.org/index.php