BENEFITING: WOMEN ORGANIZED TO MAKE ABUSE NON EXISTENT INC
ORGANIZER: W.O.M.A.N., Inc.
It's hard to find the perfect words to describe in a small space exactly why I think W.O.M.A.N., Inc. is deserving of your support, but here goes.
In 2014, I began volunteering with W.O.M.A.N., Inc. in part to fulfill a course requirement when finishing up my degree. I felt fortunate to have found a placement that was such a great fit with my values and passions (see core values below ;). Two years later, I feel fortunate to be able to say I have a job I'm stoked to go to in the morning -- a supportive workplace that also challenges me to be a better human every day. And let me tell you, the people are awesome. The experience I've had working with the W.O.M.A.N., Inc. team & interacting with courageous folks who've survived violence, has been so impactful. I have learned and continue to learn so much from them.
I hope you will join me in supporting an organization that is dedicated to survivor empowerment and that brings authenticity, love and justice to the anti-violence work they do 24/7.
Basically, I think W.O.M.A.N., Inc. is pretty damn cool (got a lot of feels for this place), but don't just take my word for it. Check out my teammates' pages, they've got their own stories too!
W.O.M.A.N., Inc. Team wrote -
W.O.M.A.N., Inc. has serviced the San Francisco Bay Area in its mission to end domestic violence since 1978. Over the years, the programs at our organization have evolved as needed to remain aligned with the needs of those we serve. W.O.M.A.N., Inc. supports those impacted by violence using an innovative approach to services and programs that build stronger, safer communities.
What we're about:
- Anti-oppression & intersectional feminism. As feminism evolves, so does our organization. We work towards social justice and in doing so we are intentional about the values that drive our organization forward. Our Cultural Praxis reminds us to be mindful of our structural background, and at the same time about the work we do to end domestic violence.
- Meeting survivors where they're at. Survivors who connect with us are coming from different points in their healing process; some are still in their relationship, some have left, but regardless of where they’re at we support them all. We believe survivors, friends, and family deserve to be treated with respect and dignity, to be honored and valued. They are the “experts” of their situation.
- Collaboration. We also honor the diversity of survivors we serve, and believe it’s important to collaborate with various community members and groups. Our collaborations help us increase our capacity to better serve survivors and their family and friends.
- Creating a positive workplace environment. We are intentional about making W.O.M.A.N., Inc.’s environment supportive for all who walk through our doors. We want staff, board, and volunteers’ experiences and backgrounds to be valued and appreciated. W.O.M.A.N., Inc. values teamwork and consensus, accountability, direct communication, respectful use of power, transparency, anti-oppression, environmental practice, and self-care.
We are proud of the work we do and truly couldn't make it happen without your support. Please make a donation today and join our community of supporters who impact changes in the lives of survivors of all communities. Every bit helps:
- $1000 will provide 75 hours of crisis line counseling on our 24-hour support line.
- $750 will enable 25 survivors to receive one-one therapy services.
- $500 will enable 30 monolingual Spanish speaking survivors receive support in their native language.
- $100 will enable us to provide 40 hours of training for a volunteer to support healthy relationships in our communities.
- $50 will allow 3 survivors to receive groceries to feed their families.
- $25 will allow 1 survivor to receive emotional and practical support via accompaniment to a legal appointment.
- $10 will help 3 survivors to receive essential support such as public transportation tickets and gift cards for toiletries.