We matched your $6,000
November 19, 2016
BENEFITING: Women's Center and Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
Last year WC&S had to turn away 755 women and children because all 36 beds were full, along with every extra sofa. Over the past six years, WC&S has been forced to turn away thousands of intimate partner victims and children. Turning away victims isn't acceptable. We're raising $10,900,000 and we need your support!
We can't ignore this problem:
- Every minute, 24 people experience domestic violence.
- Every day, three or more women will be killed by their spouse.
- Last year, 47,000 individuals in Allegheny County were victimized by their partners.
- In the U.S., more than 1 in 3 women have experienced rape, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner.
The difference WC&S made last year:
- 5,363 hotline calls answered
- 3,881 legal advocacy clients
- 507 women and children safely sheltered.
Why I am proud to be a Board Member at WC&S: