“You can’t really understand another person’s experience until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.”
Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® is an event designed to raise awareness about violence against women by asking men to literally walk a mile in women’s shoes – high heeled shoes. It’s not easy to walk in these shoes, but it’s fun and will help the Nantucket community think and talk about some difficult issues: gender relations and men’s sexual violence against women.
On Sunday, June 29th, Island men will gather at Children’s beach with their high heels – pumps, stilettos, wedges, kitten heels, peep toes – to walk a mile with fellow islanders. Men have the option of walking solo, or with a team (e.g., friends, family, co-workers, teammates, etc.) and will be required to raise money to walk. Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® Nantucket is organized by A Safe Place, Inc. and all of the proceeds from the walk will go directly to A Safe Place!
- When? Sunday June 29th, 2014 from 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Where? Children’s Beach
- Who? Nantucket MEN and BOYS (all ages are welcome) - walk solo or with a team.
- Each walker will pay a $25.00 registration fee and is also responsible for raising an additional $100 by June 28th. The registration fee will cover your lunch and event t-shirt; the $100 donation will go directly to A Safe Place.
- We do encourage higher fundraising goals; however, $100 is the minimum fundraising goal per person (regardless of whether you are walking individually or with a team).
- Boys (aged 13 and under) are only required to raise $50, in addition to paying the $25 registration fee.
- *Participants MUST register by JUNE 1st to ensure a t-shirt in their size!
- Additional lunch tickets can be purchased for $15.00; please contact A Safe Place if you wish to do so.
- Men are responsible for finding their own pair of high heeled shoes, and we encourage you to do so as far in advance as possible! Many online retailers sell large sized high heel shoes...
- Please visit www.exotichigheels.com for a wide variety of women's shoes up to a size 16 women's (14.5 men's). This website also has a selection of wide high heeled shoes in large sizes: http://www.exotichighheels.com/wide-width---wide-calf.html starting at $35.
- Large women's shoes can also be found at Amazon and Zappos up to size 16 women's (size 14.5 men's).
- Please contact A Safe Place if you have any major issues finding shoes.
- Feel free to contact A Safe Place by phone (508-228-0561) or by e-mail (email@example.com).
- For more information about Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® Nantucket visit our Facebook Page: Walk A Mile in Her Shoes – Nantucket (www.facebook.com/WalkAMileInHerShoesNantucket)
- For more general information about Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® Events, visit: www.walkamileinhershoes.org
Licensed by Frank Baird & Walk a Mile in Her Shoes®