Z+A are Standing with Standing Rock
Organized by: Aimee Ryan
It’s official. Zach Radford and I are headed to Standing Rock to stand with our brothers and sisters, the water protectors, the elders, the young ones…all those who know in their heart of hearts that the time for choosing a new way forward is NOW. I’m not going to lie, I hate the cold and the increased violence by the Morton County Police against peaceful water protectors is super scary, but for me, right now, it feels right to honor the fear, face the cold, and Stand UP with the Standing Rock Sioux.
We’ll be heading to North Dakota from Missoula on Dec 8th and will be bringing as much firewood as we can possibly carry. Firewood is the #1 item on the wish list for the camps out there and thanks to Tom Ryan’s hard work and generosity we have access to loads of it. The biggest hurdle will be getting it all there!
What we need to make the most of this trip:
- An enclosed trailer (the bigger the better) to fill with wood (and other supplies) to bring out there – if you have one that we can borrow from Dec 8th – Dec 13th, it would be huge in helping us get firewood to the camps.
- If we don’t get a trailer donated, we’ll be renting a U-Haul to carry supplies and invite anyone who wants to take part in supporting this trip to donate towards the rental fee and added travel cost (Z and I can donate time and some resources, but the more funds we have, the larger the trailer we can bring, and the more wood we can donate).
- Since we can’t predict if we’ll get a trailer donated or not, we’ll be accepting financial support for the U-Haul on a CrowdRise and if we get use of a trailer donated (or receive more than the cost of the trailer) the funds will go to the camp instead.
- Here is a list of other items that the camps need – http://sacredstonecamp.org/supply-list/ - if you have any of these items and you live between Missoula and Standing Rock, let us know and we’ll pick them up. Get in touch with us to see how we can pick up or you can drop off your donations.
- Additional items include: heavy-duty wool socks (new condition), boxes of hand warmers, food, milk of magnesia (Used by medics to wash pepper spray and tear gas from peaceful protectors’ eyes).
- If you wish to donate any additional funds to the CrowdRise page, anything above what we need to help us make our way there will all be donated by Zach and I directly to the camps. Feel free to give as you would like!
What else you can do:
- Call those in power and voice your opinion on the DAPL project – check out this link for a list of numbers and a handy script to help you cover important talking points -https://anthrophonebank.wordpress.com/script-3-support-nodapl/
- Pray, gather in community, look at how you want to get involved, post on Facebook, meditate daily on the power of love, nonviolence, and interdependence
- Take your money out of banks investing in DAPL – (Wells Fargo, Citibank, and about 15 others) – here’s a list and contact info if you want to call their CEOs directly to give them a piece of your mind - http://www.yesmagazine.org/people-power/how-to-contact-the-17-banks-funding-the-dakota-access-pipeline-20160929
- Look at ways in which you can cut out the use of fossil fuels and petroleum based products from your life (i.e. gasoline, plastic bottles, bags, containers of any kind, Styrofoam – because, duh, why are we still using Styrofoam?). Every little bit counts, and if we’re going to end our cultural obsession with and deadly addiction to oil, we’re going to have to make some changes, both collectively and individually. We can’t just point the finger at Big Oil…vote with your dollars, your actions, your choices…There are alternatives to oil! We just need to show how badly we want them!!
- Offer words of encouragement to Zach and Aimee. Text, Facebook, email, the good old fashioned telephone – we would love hear words of support to help keep us strong and united in the effort. Why is it important to you that we all stand up to the Dakota Access Pipeline?
Zach + Aimee